Tuff Country Important Info

From: Norah Bleazard (nbleazard@home.com)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 21:18:05 EDT

I recently received an e-mail from another Dakota owner who is not on the
DML and had given me some advice on the Tuff Country Lift. As he had just
recently installed the lift, and has experienced some problems, I thought
I'd pass on an excerpt of his e-mail for those considering the Tuff Country
Lift. Something you may want to consider:

before
off roading it. If not, there will be significant damage done. Trust me,
it happened. (Off course, you'll be told that off roading the kit will
invalidate the warranty, so I guess they only want to sell it to yuppies
looking for tall trucks in their suburban driveways.)

  The most glaring and ridiculous flaw of the kit is that if you don't
install larger tires you will LOOSE ground clearance. And right in the spot
you've trained yourself to put all those rocks, logs, and stumps, between
your tire and your pumpkin. The worst spot to loose clearance.

  Also there is a bracket that is much too small, and so its attachment to
the truck is much too weak.

  I'm in the process of overcoming these design flaws and building new parts
myself. If you are interested in more details let me know. I'm also having
a custom skid plate built that will provide some significant protection.

  It is nice to be higher. I've torqued my torsion bars all the way, so
that my raised height is over 6 inches now. Once I make the modifications
it will be the most awesome off road dakota around. But the tuff country
kit made it much more painful.

  My suggestion to you, is to look seriously at the rancho kit. And don't
do it without talking with someone who already has one. Or best of all,
actually seeing and driving one in person. I know its only three inches,
but if you torque your torsion bars you can pick up another inch.

  Another item - tires. I'm now running super swamper radials in 33 x 12.5.
they are absolutely incredible. I made up a set of offroad wheels and
tires. It was difficult finding wheels with the 6 x 4 1/2 lug pattern,
about the only choice is the american racing ar 767 fits. Of course, every
supplier will tell you that they don't make them, so finally after talking
to ar myself I got a supplier to dig on it. So I'm running road wheels and
offroad wheels. A bit of a hassle but worth it.<<<<<

I too was considering this lift, but I've changed my mind now.

Norah
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd