RE: CompCam or Hughes Cam vs. Emissions?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 16:39:40 EDT

At 08:26 AM 8/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
> [snip]
>I've had Mopar Tech, Koller, and CompCams tell me it wasn't necessary to
>replace the springs and retainers. They said if it makes me feel better
>to go ahead and do them, but they weren't necessary.
> [snip]

Rich

The Comp cam sounds wilder than the MP Magnum R/T cam.

Just to make sure that you are aware. Before the MP cam, I floated
the valves in two 1/4-mile races probably due to overheating the
engine when warming up the tires on hot, humid days. The first
time was on a 2-3 manual shift of my auto. at 5300 rpm. The second
time was on the 1-2 manual shift at 5500 rpm. I had previously done
these shifts on many occasions with no valve float.

The cam will move the power band up the rpm range ... in my case,
I figure peak torque is around 3300-3500 rpm and peak hp around 4800-5000 rpm.
With my present tranny and rear setup, I need to shift at those
high rpms to stay in the power band. (I'm not sure if you are manual
or auto.) The only way that I can safely be at those high rpms is
with the MP valve springs. The last time that I was at the track,
I did a 1-2 shift at 5600 rpm at WOT (still testing for best shift points)
and, for some reason, the tranny held in first. I watched it hit the
6000 rpm mark before it shifted in second. Could not have done that
without the beefed up valvetrain ... would have been looking my parts
on the track).

Just thought that you should have this to add to all other inputs.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red