comments on hood

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 23:26:47 EDT

"Seemed high to me until I read the post in reply to using the stock
hood
and cutting a hole in it to accept the air scoop (without looking
Trottmann-esque). I suppose with the cost of that "alien spaceship-
looking" air scoop, the hood gaskets and the cutting and then the extra
bracing that Terry spoke about, it might be a fair retail price. I'm
surprised about the comments that the stock hood "fluttered around." I
realize the hole removes some of the structural rigidity, but that stock

hood is pretty stout ( at least on Gen's I & II).

One is getting more than a hood here and right now it has no competition

so both factors plus the additional labor will increase the price. "

-I have some comments to add to this. I think this price is pretty
reasonable if it includes the airscoop and gaskets and filter kit.
Figure $500 for the hood, $250 for the goodies for a one of a kind hood,
and I agree with Richard as he stated above. I believe the hood
flutters because when you cut a hole in a hood but dont have bracing
surrounding that hole, it will flutter that area around the cut back to
the beefier part where the bracing is. If you look at the DeLong hood,
the bracing goes around the hood cut-out and strengthens it.
  My last comment is this. I would like to see this hood and shaker put
on a Dakota with a full flat black hood treatment while the fenders are
body color and the hood or most of it are flat black like an old
Barracuda, etc. That would be ultimate cool with A/R 767 wheels and a
lowered look.
Patrick