Re: comments on hood

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 1999 - 08:02:38 EDT

My comments are geared towards the functionality of the shaker hood
and ram-air type hoods in general rather than pros/cons of their
appearance.

According to the Mopar Chasis book, functionality depends on both
the location of the scoop(s) and the height of the carb (in our case,
the tb) which directly affects the height of the scoop(s).

The most effective hoods that Mopar put out were on the '69 1/2 SuperBee
(the Six Pack hood) and the RoadRunner (the Six Barrel hood).
Ideal location for the scoop(s) is not right at the front edge of
the hood (the layer of air right at the edge is sort of dead) but
about one inch or more above the hood like the 69 1/2 scoop was.
However, the scoop should also be within an inch of the top of the
carb (tb) for maximum effectiveness. The scoop will still function
if higher but not as well.

One common mistake that is made is to put a pro stock hood on a
vehicle when the carb (tb) is at stock or near stock height. Pro
stock hoods are high because the carbs are higher than the hood line.

Naturally, the last thing when making a scoop functional, is that
you have to enclose the carb (tb) in some sort of box to get the Ram air,
otherwise you only provide more cooling for the motor and don't
get the Ram air effect.

I have read in the old performance mags that the least effective fresh air,
Ram-air system from the factory was the shaker hood. It is still functional
but designed for style ... the Six Pak hood outperformed the shaker hood.

I'd be very interested in hearing other comments on the functionality
of ram-air type hoods.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red