Re: Question for the audiophiles (Ollie)

From: Bob Nichols (bnich@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 13:49:48 EDT

Ollie Garcia wrote:

> Well, last night I had my MTX Thunderform installed and I love it!! Many
> thanks to all on the list who strongly recommended this box to me. I as
> well HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who might be considering it. Now to my
> current setup: I'm using a mtx 2150 to drive the thunderform box, and a mtx
> 275 for the front mb quart PKC113 in the stock location, and a pioneer
> DEHP6000 4x45 driving the rear mb quarts DKC113 components in the stock
> location. Overall the system sounds well balanced but I think I'm going to
> need a little more power from the components. I'm happy with the mtx 2150
> for the subs, I feel that the amp provides plenty for the box. However, my
> installer tells me that we are stuck with the mtx 275 because that's the
> only amp he had that would fit under the driver seat. He also told me that
> even if we could fit something more powerful under the seat we would loose
> staging and balance due to the fact that the front end will overwhelm the
> rear. His recommendation: add some aftermarket kick-panel and a bigger amp
> somewhere. Use that bigger amp to increase the front speakers and kick
> panels level. My questions: 1.) Anyone using a more powerful amp that fits
> under their seat? 2.)Anyone know of some custom kick-panel available for
> the '99 Dak? TIA
>
> -Ollie Garcia
>
> info links:
> http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/t275x.htm
> can't find my speakers listed on the mb quart site, but I believe they rms @
> around 60 watts
> http://www.mbquart.com/mobil/mobil.html

Ollie,
I'm running the same amps as you are. I feel the stock front door locations
stink.
I cut the stock location grating out of the door panels and moved the mids from
the components to the panel itself, instead of 4" in mounted on the door sheet
metal.
They do sound better, but the real fiz in my oppinion are q forms (kick panels).

But there not avaible yet. I was told 6 months ago they'd be out in 4
weeks.......
still waiting. If you could get the mids and tweets facing up at you, I'm sure
it would make a big difference.
Just my 2 cents. I'm not a profesional just a guy trying to get my system to
sound better.
BTW, I'm running Infinity Kappa components. Geoff has the same amps, but is
running qaurtz (i think) I'm sure he's listening.
Bob

--
Lowered 1998 Metalic Red Extended Cab
Western Chassis 2/4" Drop, Gibson Cat Back, Lund Roll Pan, Sport Masters