Re: 3.55 or 3.90 in an R/T ?

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 14:22:27 EDT

On street tires, there is enough torque to break traction with any gear
ratio(like the awesome burnouts doing 2nd gear starts)when you pop that
clutch. The higher 3.90/4.10 gears will transmit more torque to the tires
via a lower tire speed. The lower 3.21/3.55 gears give less torque but try
to spin the tires faster. On street tires, at the moment of torque
application(sudden clutch engagement) the lower gears "jerk" the tires
harder(faster) causing the loss of traction. Softer manual starts and
automatics lessen this effect.
A vehicle with a higher gear ratio while supplying more torque to the tire,
should be able to launch cleaner and recover easier.
Launch rpm's are the 2'nd most important ingredient in drag racing. If
you're losing traction, lower starting rpm. If you're bogging, raise it. A
bog is better than a burn. By adjusting your launch technique(and practicing
it) you will jump off the line with any gear but you'll reach the big end
first with the higher 3.90/4.10 ratio.
Dr. Pat