Got the Jet installed

From: Mike Gibbons (gibbons@fn.net)
Date: Sat Oct 02 1999 - 19:58:52 EDT

Got the Jet Stage II and 180 deg. thermo installed today. Installation of
the thermo was not hard but it's not the easiest thing to get to it because
of the accessories all hanging off the front of the engine. It took some
patience and a long screwdriver to remove all the old gasket material. A
hint to anyone about to do this, go buy about 3 ft. of 3/8" I.D. hose,
(mine already had about a 3" piece attached) . Run this to the spigot on
the draincock and down to a container. It beats trying to remove that
plastic panel and breaking the plastic push tabs. It also keeps you from
wearing anti-freeze. Chip install, 30 seconds. Went on a test drive, truck
is really running well now. Can't determine how much of this is strictly
due to the chip since I put the Gibson on last night. Truck does feel
stronger after the chip though. I don't feel the Jet is a P.O.S. like some
have claimed but I also can't say that the Hypertech PTM might not be
better. Someone needs to get a hold of both chips and dyno them
back-to-back on the same truck. I can say that cruising at 70-75 mph is
much more comfortable now. I can accelerate up from 75 without having to
shift down. I drove a total of 23 miles town and freeway. On the freeway I
went out about 7-8 miles and reversed my direction to negate any effects of
wind. My previous mileage at about 70mph was about 15-16 mpg (I have a 4x4,
CC, 318/auto). I am now seeing 18-19mpg on my trip computer (this was both
ways, downwind and into the wind). Still a little early to draw definite
conclusions about mileage, will keep tracking it. Overall, I am very happy
with the mods so far (K&N Gen II, Gibson 3" single cat-back, Jet Stage II,
180 deg. thermo). The exhaust is sounding a little more lively today than
last night. I think I'll be pleased with it. It also seems as though I'm
hearing more noise from the intake. Could it be that more air out = more
air in? Can't wait for the Quick D T.B.!

Mike G.