Re: Re[2]: Re: Ping and Rattle problems

From: Dave Scelfo (macncheesemonster@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 09:49:54 EST

>Hey Dave, I've got a question for ya'.
>
>You seem to know you're ---- and I've been perplexed by this one. I had
>some
>mild spark knock with my '98 318 and I tried a 180 stat., magnecore wires
>and
>some gas treatments to no avail. However, as soon as I put some headers on
>(JBA shorties) the knock seems to be gone for good. My question is --what
>gives???? Is this due the good turbulence you have been writing about?

Well, what happens is your exhaust is scavenged more efficiently. Because
the exhaust is exits more efficiently, it stays in the CC less time and thus
your CC temps go down. Lowering CC temp is a great way to stop engine
knock. Because the exhaust flows better, the intake gains too. This is an
added benefit as your intake charge isnt fighting your exhaust charge as
much. Hope this helps.

--
Dave