Re: headers-help me out here!

From: SS454454@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 13 1999 - 03:08:26 EST

fdedip@whale-mail.com writes:

<< I was discussing the fact that I could now buy headers for my 6er with a
guy from work, and he thought you need dual exhaust with headers. I was
trying to explain that you don't want to open up the exhaust too much, and he
didn't believe me, ok, but then he stymied me by saying the headers are there
for exhaust (yeah), and what good are they if they dump back together into
the cat? I don't really know. Will someone explain this to me please? I am
ignorant.
 Flip

Ok here goes. i know people say its better the more free the exhaust runs.
not true. I had a camaro with a 454 and i was running way too big headers and
dual exhausts. the headers got red hot the first time i drove the car. than
after a few tries i finally realised the exhaust flowed so free that there
was actually fresh gas air mixture being pulled out through the headers and
it was catching fire inside and making the headers red hot. you say how is
that possible. no matter what there is still a minute time where the valves
are between closing and opening the free flow pulled out some air gas mix and
thats why my headers were red hot. i went to a smaller header and a single 3
inch exhaust and no more problems. the duals were 3 inch also. Now the dual
exhaust is great but a well designed single exhaust is good too. also with a
single exhaust you still have low end torque. with a dual system i tended to
loose some low end
Rob