Dak running poor/MPG poor

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 20:05:43 EST

I need some input/advice here on what to do with my Dak and what to try to
make it run better(been running rough) and get better mileage. This weekend
on a hunting trip, mostly highway miles, I got only 220 miles per tank,
usually I can get 300 out of it. My truck currently has 112,800 miles on it.
I am running a complete after market igntion, MSD/Accel/Borg Warner, and I
am also running Champion Truck Plugs. Due to the problem Bernd posted
concerning the plug not really being a project tip, I am going to swap these
out for some Copper Autolites this week. I just replaced the cap/rotor about
500 miles ago, and I know all igntion components will be fine after I get
some new plugs in there. I know my fuel filter is fine, since I just
replaced the fuel pump assembly and the fuel filter about 5,000 miles ago. I
have no fault codes coming up either. I just recharged my Amsoil 2Stage Air
Filter. The oxygen sensor can also be rules out since I put a new dealer on
this summer. Any other sensors to possibly try replacing??? Where should I
start to look for problem areas? I know I do have an exhaust leak somewhere
around the cat/muffler area. Will an exhaust leak cause mileage to suffer
and idle to not be so great? I was really thinking about having my very old
stock muffler cut off and getting an aftermarket muffler welded in, hoping
this would help to increase gas mileage and performance. I just need some
input on where to start looking or what I can start trying here as my Dak is
running like it is getting old and those new Daks are looking nicer and
nicer, just cannot afford anything near those right now. Thanks!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6