4x4 transfer case trouble

From: Ryan LeBlanc (ryan@ryanandjoellen.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 22:38:55 EST

Hey all,

I have the part time transfer case in my 99 Durango. In all of the
offroading I have done, I have not needed to use 4WD Low yet. A couple
weeks ago, I was up Azusa canyon, and needed to help pull of Jeep Wrangler
out of some mud ;o). So, I decided to put it in 4WD low to make sure I did
not get stuck also. So, I was in 4WD high, and started driving forward at
about 2 or 3 mph. Then I pushed the shifter to the right, and straight down
through neutral, and into 4WD low. It grinded a little bit, but apparently
went in. So, I put it into reverse to back up to hook up the Jeep, and it
popped out of 4WD low into Neutral. I tried the preceding steps at least 10
times, with the same results.

My question, is this a problem with my not knowing anything about 4WD? This
is my first 4x4, and I am learning alot. So, could this be a problem with
the transfer case? Oh, I also tried to shift it with the engine off, and it
would not even go into gear. HELP!!! I am going to Yosemite in a month, and
there will be snow, and I need to know how to make this work just in case.
Thanks!

Ryan LeBlanc
99, Durango, 5.9L, 4x4, SLT, Forest Green
97, CC, 5.2L, 5 spd, 4x2, SLT+