RE: Making it Cooler? Ping

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 10:09:44 EST

Retarding the timing does make the truck run a little bit cooler (not much
though) but it also causes the performance to suffer slightly as well.

If it pings really bad, 1 - 2 degrees may help though. As for the 180
T'Stat and colder plugs, I don't see a problem with it with the exception of
the plugs possibly "fouling" a little sooner than normal.

Putting headers on the truck will allow the engine to run a little bit
cooler since the headers scavenge the exhaust gasses much better than the
stock manifolds. (Pulling the exhaust gasses out of the combustion
chamber.) The headers do run hotter (physically) but that's not a big issue
at all. Mine get hot (and I run the truck hard on occasion) but they also
cool down rather quickly as well. If you get the Ceramicote on the Headers,
the heat problem with headers is solved. (I run the Nickel Plated Headers
for personal taste...I like the "Blueing" affect.)

- Bernd