Larger Oil Filter-NO CAN DO!

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 07:10:36 EST

I really wanted to put a larger oil filter on my '95, 2WD, 5.2L so I
bought the larger version of the Fram Extra Guard (PH8) AND the normal size
(PH16) "just in case". Changed my oil. Yanked the filter. The PH 8 spun
right on with no problem. BUT, knowing how difficult a removal can be after
a few thousand miles I got all my filter wrenches out to see if they could
be used for removal (better to try them out now with no oil in the truck and
while the filter can be easily removed by hand). Well, I couldn't get ANY
of them to fit over the filter! The filter comes extremely close to the
frame (maybe 1/4" clearance). I have the classic "band type" wrench, the
filter-end type cup socket remover, and the type which also goes on the end
with two jaws that wrench together at the center on a cam when turned with a
ratchet. Just didn't feel comfortable enough to put the big filter on. So
I wimped out and put on the PH16. Are there any other filter wrench options
that might allow me to use this larger filter? (It sounds like a good idea
if I can get it off).

Thanks!

Bob King
Pennsville, NJ