RE: Intense Stage II intakes? - Opinion LONG!!!

From: John Mautz (jmautz@home.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 20:51:43 EST

I like the Quick D setup better!!!!! Here is a little comparison...

                Quick D Intense Perf Pref
                -------------- ------------- ----
Bend 45 Degree 90 Degree QuickD

        WHY? Air will flow better on the QuickD unit.

Tube Polished SS Ceramic coated QuickD
                                        Aluminum

        WHY? One can polish clean and polish the Quick D tube. The Ceramic coating
on the IP tube is only good at idle. When moving air will be passing
over/through the tube too fast to really be protected from engine heat.

Filter K&N 9" cone PowerStack 7" Whoever you believe

        WHY? K&N said that the concave endcap filters added no benefit to their
filters so they don't produce them. PowerStack says the help straighten out
the flow of the air entering the tube. Personally, you don't need a filter
that will flow up to 1200+ cfm for a motor that only requires about 650cfm.

Cold Can N/A QD Upgde/Stage 3 Quick D

        WHY? That is the question. Why would one surround a cotton filter with an
aluminum can? All it will do is bake the filter. We thought the stock air
box was restrictive, so why are some thinking that putting a box around K&N
type filter will be any better? The upgrade will have a 4" opening to let
air into the can to be sucked through the filter. If you looked at your
stock filter setup you should have notices that the dirty part was in the
back next to the outlet. I can just see having this nice free flowing
filter with a 4" round dirt mark on it, because that is the only part of the
filter that is really used.

Now, these are just my observations and opinions, if you total the
preference score you will see that it's QD 3, IP 0, Marketing 1. Therefore,
I bought the QuickD setup.

You are free to make your own decision though. :-)

John