Re: Creating the Ultimate Sleeper!

From: J.D. Forinash (foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 08:47:39 EST

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 12:33:07AM -0500, Hemipower@aol.com wrote:
> Drop in a big V-8 with Imperial mufflers. : )

No matter how you muffle it, a V8 just doesn't sound like a V6. It might
take someone who knows what he's listening for to tell the difference,
but if I hear a V8 engine but I see a V6 badge on the side, I'm going to
know something's amiss.

The electric fans might also cause a problem from a noise standpoint;
they don't tend to sound different, but they do tend to spin at different
times-- like, for example, when the engine is turned off. That could be
solved by how they're wired in, though.

The restrictions (must look and sound stock) make for some interesting
restrictions-- for example, you can't really do anything to the exhaust,
which will make you look and sound different. If you don't expect
a very close inspection, you could go with some exhaust dumps that you
trigger with your nitrous system to solve the exhaust restriction problem,
but if you're expecting people to look under the truck, that doesn't work,
either.

-F

--
--J.D. Forinash (foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu) / '69 Coronet 440, yellow, 318
The more you learn, the better your    / '70 Fury III 'vert, mostly white, 318