Re: Spooky Headlight problem!

From: J McKinney (bigmopar4x4@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 10:25:19 EST

Hey Bob, I have the same problem on my old (now dad's) '91
LE. I believe we have the same high-beam control on the
turn signal switch, right? We don't DARE try to switch to
high beams while we're driving because the lights will go
out. I believe it's in the turn signal/high beam switch.
I haven't installed a new one yet, but would almost
guarantee that's the problem.
John

--- Bob King <k85go76@erols.com> wrote:
> Listen to this. About two weeks ago I started having
> problems with my
> headlights. I have a '95 SLT CC with the pull-type
> dash-mounted
> headlight/parking light/dome light switch. I went to
> turn on my headlights
> and they didn't come on. Tried pushing-pulling the switch
> a couple of times
> and they finally came on. Had this same thing happen a
> couple of times
> several days later until one night I tried it and the
> lights once again
> didn't come on (only parking lights and dash lights were
> on). High beams
> didn't work either, but my passing flashers did activate
> the headlights
> momentarily ( as would be the case with these) when the
> turn signal/wiper
> stalk was pulled back. Still, trying and fiddling with
> the switch this time;
> no headlights no matter what I tried. I made a quick
> assessment that I had
> a bad headlight switch. (Luckily ,I have a fairly strong
> pair of driving
> lamps that I used as backup to keep me driving at night)
> .
>
> I bought a new switch at Pep Boys and $56 later and
> pulling apart the dash
> to replace, I finally had working headlights. Life was
> good!...for about 4
> nights... until tonight when I came out of a store,
> hopped into the Dak,
> fired it up and hit the headlight switch....AGAIN, NO
> HEADLIGHTS! God, was
> I pissed! The exact same symptoms as I had
> before..parking lights OK, dash
> lights OK, NO high beams, can activate the passing
> flasher. I fumed all the
> way home relying on my trusty Pilot driving lamps.
> Stopped at the local
> Burger Barn for a Chix sandwich and when I came back out,
> tried the
> headlight switch again....THE HEADLIGHTS CAME ON!!! This
> is making me nuts!
> I have a sneaking suspicion I threw away a perfectly good
> headlight switch
> on the repair and I have a loose connection somewhere in
> there.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I should start my search
> for the "bad actor"
> in this sick little episode?
>
> Many thanks (in advance) and Happy Holidays fellow
> DMLers!!
>
> Bob King
> Pennsville, NJ

=====
John McKinney
Los Banos, CA
1998 Dakota 4x4 5in lift/locked 33" Swampers
1974 Ramcharger 4in lift/locked 33" BFG MT's