Spooky Headlight problem!

From: Bob King (k85go76@erols.com)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 22:01:14 EST

Listen to this. About two weeks ago I started having problems with my
headlights. I have a '95 SLT CC with the pull-type dash-mounted
headlight/parking light/dome light switch. I went to turn on my headlights
and they didn't come on. Tried pushing-pulling the switch a couple of times
and they finally came on. Had this same thing happen a couple of times
several days later until one night I tried it and the lights once again
didn't come on (only parking lights and dash lights were on). High beams
didn't work either, but my passing flashers did activate the headlights
momentarily ( as would be the case with these) when the turn signal/wiper
stalk was pulled back. Still, trying and fiddling with the switch this time;
no headlights no matter what I tried. I made a quick assessment that I had
a bad headlight switch. (Luckily ,I have a fairly strong pair of driving
lamps that I used as backup to keep me driving at night) .

I bought a new switch at Pep Boys and $56 later and pulling apart the dash
to replace, I finally had working headlights. Life was good!...for about 4
nights... until tonight when I came out of a store, hopped into the Dak,
fired it up and hit the headlight switch....AGAIN, NO HEADLIGHTS! God, was
I pissed! The exact same symptoms as I had before..parking lights OK, dash
lights OK, NO high beams, can activate the passing flasher. I fumed all the
way home relying on my trusty Pilot driving lamps. Stopped at the local
Burger Barn for a Chix sandwich and when I came back out, tried the
headlight switch again....THE HEADLIGHTS CAME ON!!! This is making me nuts!
I have a sneaking suspicion I threw away a perfectly good headlight switch
on the repair and I have a loose connection somewhere in there.

Does anyone have an idea where I should start my search for the "bad actor"
in this sick little episode?

Many thanks (in advance) and Happy Holidays fellow DMLers!!

Bob King
Pennsville, NJ