FOR PLASTIC SKID PLATE ANSWERS (READ ME)

From: Morrison, Dennis (DMorriso@ciena.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 14:33:48 EST

Some things I found out about plastic skid plates.

1- the gas tank plate is metal because of 2 reasons.
        a. STATIC CHARGE! (BOOOOM!!!! COMES INTO MIND)
        b. more durable and safer overall

2- most people who buy "off-road" 4x4's never go off road. So manufactures can make some easy money. On using plastic instead of metal.

3- weight, for multiple reasons like better 0-60 times, gas mileage, towing overall weight etc.... All the stuff you look at when buying and comparing vehicles.

4- New age plastics are very strong and durable (per a Ph.D. at my work) not as "hard as steel but no rust, almost as impact safe without hammering it out when finished. So it is just as good as metal for normal "off-road" experiences -- like a camping trip or going to the job site. And it reduces weight for better gas mileage, better 0-60 times etc...

Now it was said that if you are doing heavy off-roading you should definitely go steel. Like say, the Baja, where your truck may go 3' off the ground. But if your a regular "Joe" I'd go with the plastic.

All this advice came to me from multiple reliable sources.

Feel free to e-mail me with any more questions or concerns.