Re: abs/threshold braking

From: Ned Buckmaster (Ned@Buckmaster.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 07:35:52 EST

I have a '00 Dak with rear-wheel ABS, and I'm not sure it does anything.
Those of you with rear only ABS, can you FEEL it work? Twice so far, once on
wet pavement and once on dry pavement, I'm fairly sure the rear wheels
locked up solid. I get no warning lights and the controller passes it's self
test when I start the truck.

On 4-wheel ABS, it depends entirely on the system as to whether it is worth
it or not. I've had two vehicles with ABS; the first, a '92 Typhoon, was
absolutely dangerous when the ABS kicked in. It just about let the truck
roll to a stop; evidently it was designed way too sensitive. I would have to
release the brakes and do threshold braking to PREVENT the ABS from
engaging.

The second, a '94 Integra, had an excellent ABS system on it. It very rarely
engaged, and then just enough to retain directional control. (Incidentally,
it's ABS could be turned off by engaging the hand brake just enough to light
the brake light and driving 1/4 mile. The ABS light would come on and the
ABS would be disabled until the car was turned off. Some autocrossers do
this. Is there something similar for Daks?)

Ned