Pitman Arm Update

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 15:53:17 EST

Well I tried Monday to get the pitman arm off with no luck at all. Of
course, I was using normal hand tools. The only thing I managed to take
off(start to laugh) was the cotter pin!!! I couldnt even budge the castle
nut on the tie rod. I did soak it fairly good with penetrant also and used a
pipe for added leverage; I just couldnt move it and I am not a weak guy by
any means. So after 3 hours I gave up. Tuesday, I went today by from
girlfriend's brother's house to use his $20,000 worth of Craftsman tools. I
managed to remove the cotter pin once again, and also the castle nut; air
tools are nice. However, when attempting to take the large(very large) nut
off, I couldn't get any type of tool back there. The space is extremely
limited, and I could not fit an air gun back in there nor an air ratchet. I
want to say I was using something like a 1 5/16" socket with a 3/4" drive. I
could fit a breaker bar back there, but didnt have even room for leverage.
There is about 3"(max) of space from the bottom of the steering pump's shaft
and a frame brace where I believe the lower control arm connects to. I
couldnt even use an extension bar due to the location. Pissed off, I put the
castle nut/cotter pin back on and quit. I guess I am going to have to call
some local garages and see who will do it for the best price. I would still
love to know how to get than damn nut off! I do all the work on my Dak,
everything and anything, and this has me dumb-founded. Oh well, thanks to
all who helped out.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6