SG or not ? (a little long)

From: Chuck and Loreen (clrobbins@home.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 15:34:30 EST

    I know this has been discussed here before, but I still don't know if
I have an open differential or not. With the recent addition of snowy/
icey roads, I've been able to play more than usual and my findings have
me perplexed.
    When I shift 1st to 2nd on dry roads I am able to get about 12-15 feet
of rubber from just my right rear. When I "whip" my Dak around a corner
on dry pavement I usually get just the right side rubber, but on rare
occasion
I am able to break both wheels loose. That led me to believe that I had an
open differential (one wheel drive)
    Well, in the snow, my Dak takes on a new attitude. Going down the road
in 2nd or 3rd gear, I'd punch the throttle. This would result in both tires
breaking loose and swinging the rear end around (I love going down the
road sideways:). And when I take a corner under acceleration (with snow)
my rear end kicks out every time. But, when I take off from a stand still,
it
never fails that just the right rear spins.
    So, with that said, I am still led to believe that I have an open diff,
but
certainly am not sure. If anyone can help identify which rear end I have,
it would certainly be appreciated.
    On another note, my Dak isn't bad in the snow. These POS Goodyears
have to go, but with the addition of 400+ pounds of cast iron steam
radiators
in the back my Dak can handle 3-4 inches of snow just fine.

Thanks,
Chuck Robbins
'99 Sport v6 5spd 2wd RC
DML Digest Mode