intake hiss

From: SandMan (sandman@linkup.net)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 04:31:26 EST

Last year (summer/fall) I was running a 14x3 open element on my truck (99 CC
sport, 318, auto, 4x4) & it worked well for me. For the cold North DAKOTA
winter & put the factory air box back on, no problem. But now that warmer
weather is back I upgraded to Intense Air's intake tube & filter setup & I
hear a VERY noticeable hiss from the intake. At first I thought it was the
intake tube causing an echo of sorts or perhaps an air leak from it. I tried
my old 14x3 open element, it too now hissed. So I ran it in the driveway
with NO air cleaner on at all, still hissing??? I thought I must have
knocked off a vacuum line somewhere but I checked with "carb clean" & I can
detect no vacuum leaks. If I cover the throttle body with my hands & "choke"
the engine, the hiss diminishes. So it seams to me that this hissing is
coming from the throttle body (stock), & is now amplified by the intake tube
so its very audible driving down the street. Does anyone have any ideas what
is causing this? I did not have this hiss last year & I don't think it was
present this winter with the stock air box, but then again it was too cold
to drive with the window open to have noticed such a thing.

Also I just ordered a MSD 6a CD ignition box, does anyone have any install
tips I should know about?

Sorry for the lengthy post & thanks in advance for the help.

SandMan

proud owner of:

Flame Red 99 Dodge Dakota Sport CC, FT-4x4, automagic transmission, 5.2L
(318cid) with Intense Air Stage II (III in the works), MSD 6A (on the way),
catback exhaust (ok, its only a glass pack in place of the stock muffler),
3.55 LSD, trailer tow package, Tire & Handling package with 31x10.50 BFG
AT-ko, Access Cover tonnue.