Weekend Project Part 2 - Cold Air Temp findings.(long)

From: Greig, Doug (douggr@hazelett.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 09:10:26 EDT

 I performed my little experiment last night on cold air setups on my truck.
I wanted to compare intake/filter temps with various setups. I tested four
different setups.

1. Stock Intake with K&N drop in filter
2. Quick D Intake
3. Quick D with rubber barrier next to radiator removed
4. Quick D wrapped in heat reflective tape, rubber rem.,homemade cold-air
dam with engine side covered in heat reflective tape.

 Test Equipment = Three type E thermocouples mounted in the engine bay.
Signal wires run into the cab connected to three TC hand held readouts. TC's
mounted ...

A=. Engine Bay Temp=mounted next to oil dipstick with wire tie
B=.Air Filter Temp=mounted on the airfilter, on side closest to
engine/inside barrier
C=.Throttle Body Temp=suspended inside airhat directly in path of incoming
air.

 Ambient temp was 74 deg F, low humidity. For each test I ran down the
highway 10 miles up and 10 back @ 70 mph, and 5 miles of stop and go
traffic.Here are the results....

  Setup #1 Highway City

TC = A 110-117 F 125-140 F
TC = B 90-110 F 115-130 F
TC = C 110-117 F 125-140 F

  Setup#2

TC = A 110-117 F 125-140 F
TC = B 110-117 F 125-140 F
TC = C 115-130 F 125-140F

  Setup #3 *biggest jump in gains

TC = A 90-100 F 110-120 F
TC = B 72-78 F 100-110 F
TC = C 95-105 F 110-120 F

 Setup #4 *best for stop and go traffic

TC = A 110-117 F 125-140 F note: TC mounted in
between engine and heat barrier!
TC = B 72-78 F 85-95 F
TC = C 80-85 F 95-105 F

 Conclusions: The biggest single gain I saw was removing the rubber barrier
next to the radiator. The next would have to be wrapping the Quick D tube in
the heat reflective tape. I found this to keep tha air much cooler up to the
TB. As far as the cold air barrier goes, it was only really effective in
normal city driving(anything below 40mph) Anything above 40 mph, the air
coming in from removing the rubber barrier cooled everything down. This is
what I found out. I'm sure the readings are going to very depending on
ambient temp, humidity, etc. The Quick D DEFINATELY worked to move the air
through quicker, but I found the stainless tube to heat the air up until I
covered it in heat reflective tape. After that, I found the TB temp to be
fairly consistant. I want to perform this same experiment again, but include
a G-Tech to figure out HP gains/losses at the same time. Hope this helps. I
had fun doing it :-)

 Doug Greig
 Winooski VT
 98 CC 4X4 V6 Sport
 Quick D Intake/ Homemade "Ambient" air setup
 Mod'd V8 TB
 Accel Coil/Wires