Re: Re: Re: 45RFE slippage..was comming in peace...hehehe (Long reply)

From: Matt Schroeder (schroema@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 15:12:20 EDT

Stall speed allows the vehicle to launch more inside it's power band on a
higher HP engine. This has to do mostly with a high perf. camshaft not
creating the required power until higher RPM's, and therefore not getting a
quick jump off the line in a drag race.

Let me say that if it is a daily driver that will see lots of traffic, like
stoplights and such, and you also find that it is possible to swap in this
converter, that city traffic driving is hell. Cruising in a long line of
cars with a stop signed intersection is NO fun. I've done it in a full
sized 1986 RAM. Basically it forces you to give it lots of throttle, and
then it will seemingly smack into gear and start to move. It isn't meant to
take the heat and abuse that stopping in drive and sitting there does.
(Most people should shift their tranny into neutral and hold the brake at a
long light anyway.)

Also higher stall converters get the fluid warmer than lower stall
converters. The energy has to go somewhere, and since it isn't being used
to move the car, then some of it is converted to heat.

Stock stalls can vary, but most are just below idle speed, I suppose
somewhere around 600-800 RPM's and that's usually why if your idle is too
low it doesn't move. Most people that haul large heavy loads use a lower
than stock stall speed.

On a side note, I just rented a car and they handed me the keys to a 2000
Cavalier. What a dung heap. It didn't even move unless you gave it gas,
but I'll bet that is GM trying to watch out for the foolish people that buy
them so they don't rear end someone at a stoplight. Or it had some settings
outta whack. After all, who treats a rental nice at all?

Basically in a Dakota you could probably go with a little more than stock,
but I don't know how the computer comes into play with the new trucks. If
these 45RFE's have lockup torque converters and stuff like that that the
computer controls I wouldn't know what to tell you. I'm guessing they do
have lock up clutches in them, since most all of the latest Mopar trannys
have had them.

That's about all I know...

Matt Schroeder
'89 Dakota Sport 3.9L
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1986 Dodge D150 318 with Streetfighter tranny & converter
*Lookin' for a '78 or so 4WD truck*