To ping, or not to ping and rear brakes......

From: Greig, Doug (douggr@hazelett.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 11:26:50 EDT

I've finally joined the club. After reading numerous discussions about other
trucks pinging, only to ignore them because mine didn't ping, I'm finally
looking back in the archives for the fix's. Coming back from Canada last
night, doing 75 with cruise and no Air Cond, I was cruising up some hills
when I heard a strange rattling noise as I progressed up some of the steep
hills around here. I thought it was a loose heat shroud or something. My
passenger(an old race car driver from around here) asks me "hey how long she
been pinging like that?" He than went on to explain what was going on ,etc.
with pinging and what I should check out to correct it. So now I can be
added to the list.........

 Also, does anyone elses rear brakes lock up the first time you step on them
in the morning? Mine lock up on mornings where it was either really humid or
had rained the previous night. Along with locking up, it makes a terrible
screaching sound too. Goes away as soon as I start going down the road. Just
curious. Wondering if it's time for new pads or to have the ABS checked out.
Thanks

Doug Greig
98 CC 4X4 V6 Sport
Quick D Intake