Re: Ok, I got this really crazy idea......

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 13:08:10 EDT

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 DICEMAN469@aol.com wrote:

> I've been thinking about this for awhile, but never really had the
> opportunity (nor the money) to implement it. Here goes.....twin supercharger.
> I figure one centrifugal supercharger....then a roots type. The roots type
> will get that grunt down low where the centrifugal can't do squat...and as
> the rpm's increase the centrifugal can start force-feeding the roots with
> some nasty high end boost. And you can still run the centrifugal through an
> intercooler to keep the temp down to a minimum. Or mebbe use a turbo
> instead?? Hmmmmm...

  Austin,

  The problem I see with that is a roots style supercharger usually has a
couple of spinning impellers in it which compress the air. They draw
air in at the top, then it gets compressed at the bottom. It seems
to me like the impellers would act like a solid wall to any additional
air. I suppose its possible that the roots would essentially be drawing
through "pre-compressed" air, but if that is the case, would it be able
to compress it any more than it already is? And, will the roots be able
to keep up with the centrifugal at the top end? I have a feeling that
adding a centrifugal to the roots would at best, provide a small performance
increase (is it worth the bang/buck?), or at worst, made no difference
whatsoever, with the roots just going along at its own pace... Would
be an interesting experiment though. :-)

  I have seen people put two roots style superchargers on an engine,
though they were in parallel as opposed to a serial setup.

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'