Dakota ping/clatter problems

From: Wes Weems (wweems@fix.net)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 00:44:32 EDT

<sigh>
Ok, I am new to this list, I have tried nearly everything I've seen to fix
this problem. Dodge dealer says "...every dakota hes seen had that
problem..." and "... if it breaks within 1000 miles hell fix it for free.."
which is good, but I am pretty faithfulll in the truck, I just am
embarassed, that at idle, one would think I have a cummings deisel in it.
Here is a list of things I've tried, I realize some dont have anythign to do
witht he prob... just to let you know...

dodge dealer - no help
higher octane fuel - (at one point tried 108 racing fuel, still was pinging)
colder firing plugs - (no difference)
re-reouting wires - (no difference at all)

Its a beautifull truck, but the simple fact of the matter is, its DAMN
embarassing to drive through a drive through, or stop next to somone at the
stop light... This used to be a after warming up only problem, however now I
cant start the car, and within 1 minute its pinging away.

The truck is a '97 dakota sport 4x4. I just need ideas, or directions to go
in... I know theres got to be SOMETHING I can do =)

Danke,
Wes