Shocks

From: guldam@sirius.com
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 19:26:06 EDT

It's pretty interesting hearing about the shocks that folks recommend,
swear by or swear at.

I understand that all shocks are not created equal. For sure the stock
shocks on my brand new Dakota 4x4 do not give me much confidence
at highway speeds when I go around a corner or hit a bump. In fact I
think the truck is down right dangerous at 65 and above on anything
but a baby'sbehind smooth road.

I've not owned a truck before so I can not compare different brands of
shocks on such vehicles. But, I have had a variety of shocks on my 66
Chrysler and I can say that the KYB's I have on it are far superior to
anything I've had on it in the thirteen years or so that I've owned the car.
I've had two varieties of air shocks, Monroe and Gabriels, the original
factory shocks, spring over heavy duty shocks and now the KYB's. Only
the Gabriel air shocks came closs to the KyBs.

Now I'm still trying to make a decision as to go with the KYB's or
Bilsteins on my Dakota. Price of the Bilsteins is holding me back. Find
it hard to dump a ton of money into shocks that I've never tested on
this particular vehicle. Now if the manufactures offered a money back,
"this is the best ride you'll find" garrantee then I wouldn't hesitate.

It's a shame we can't get our Dakotas together at a meet and compare
same year/model Dakotas with different shocks and have our own
Consumer Guide shock absorber test. Really, how does one know
that Monroes, Kybs, Bilteins, ProComps or whatever are the best you
can put on your Dakota??? If you haven't tested all the shocks then you
really don't know do you?

Anyone in the SF area want to have a shock absorber shoot out?

I welcome feedback and suggestions to get off my high-horse.

SteveOH

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/