Air dam painting

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 18:18:20 EDT

I want to paint my factory gray air dam (SLT+) and rear lower
bumper/valence whatever that's called. I hate that damn gray. Looks like
you had an accident, they replaced the panel and you haven't had it painted
yet! I actually like the chrome. I think it will look a lot better if its
all body color with just the thin chrome bumper strip and chrome grill.
Chris Lamberts truck looks great from the pictures he posted. I heard
about a green one done that way that looks good. I have Dark Garnet, I
think it will look great for a lowly little 4.7 SLT! With Preacher
provided "R/T" decals...(hehehehehehe)

I imagine I will need to add a flexibility agent to the paint. I'll ask
about that at the paint store.

The surface is a little rough, kinda of a light texture to the finish of
the plastic. Does this have to be sanded perfectly smooth? Or will the
paint cover it? Or maybe a filler sandable primer. A Prime, sand,
(Seal?), paint, clear coat process? Or maybe I'll just drop it off at my
Paint and Body place and let them deal with it!

BTW-I'm not a huge fan of the bumper covers and Stillen dams. I like the
simple design of the stock unit. My favorite though is the Hotchkis
Prototype. I wonder when its coming out? Pinkley? SEMA debut? Any
factory seconds out there for friends :-)

-STE