Intake Tube Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 21:26:50 EST

Oh no, not this again! Bear with me fellas, please.
Does anyone know the outside diameter for Tony's (QuickD's) intake kits? I
assume the Dakota, Durango, and Ram all use the same size pipe, just is bent
different and involve different tubing lengths.
http://www.quickd.com/intake.htm

How about the outside diameter for Intense Performance's intake pipe?
http://www.intenseperformance.com/products/intense_air/intense_air.html
Thier ad says '3" steel tube with Ceramic Coating for increased heat
protection". I like the ceramic coating, as I think it could be beneficial.
Tony's kits arent coated, are they? Please comment on the 3" pipe size and
the specs for the filter I have(down below); think my current filter will
work?

I know I have brought this up before, and some have suggested the using the
intake pipe supplied with Tony's 'Ram' kit and also the 'Durango' kit. Dave
Kilian told me, "I am using Tony's intake tube from a Ram, it is just the
perfect length and puts the filter right behind the hole where the stock air
intake tube was in the grille. Does anyone have ANY or know of any pictures
on their own trucks I can look at with QuickDs various intake kits(Ram
Durango or Dakota, I dont care) and/or with Intense Performance's Kit on
their truck?

My truck's current setup includes: stock air hat from a GenIII Dakota( I
capped off the breather tube fitting), a 3.5" OD/3"ID PVC 45degree street
elbow held onto the air hat with a 'rubber pipe clamp', then an 11" piece of
3.5" PVC, then another 3.5" OD/3"ID PVC 45degree street elbow with the K&N
cone filter clamped onto the elbow. This puts the air filter right next to
the opening at the grill. I want to replace the PVC pipe I am currently
using. This is also the area I want the K&N to reside at, with an
'aftermarket' pipe from one of the places mentioned above. Or form another
if someone can recommend it.

I guess first off I need to know if the K&N cone filter I currently am using
in my 'PoBoy' hombrew cold air intake will work or not. I know there are two
K&N 6x9 cones available, either with a 3.5" or with a 3" inside diameter; I
am hoping not to need to buy another filter, and that mine will work with an
intake pipe. The filter I currently am using is K&N's #RE-0920 Cone Filter,
which specs are:
-Inside Diameter: 3.5"
-Top Diameter: 4 5/8"
-Base Diameter: 6"
-Length: 9"
It seems that Tony utilized more of a 40-45 degree bend on his intake tubing
compared to an 80-90 degree bend with the Intense Performance pipe. What are
the pros/cons of either for MY needs and filter placement? THANKS for any
and all input on this.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6