Re: Tracking it down...

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 21:49:25 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/01 8:28:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
prodog@swbell.net writes:

<< Seems that the intake is the prime suspect... it's got the runners
 shortened, but the internal volume of it was not reduced, too... this means
 that the engine has to work harder to get more air in at lower RPM... going
 to dyno this intake, then change it out with a stock one, and then dyno the
 stock one...and then I should know for sure if that was the problem...

 I'll keep everyone posted!

 Later,
 Tom "Slick" >>

hmmmmmm, thought I mentioned something about that at one point in time,
didn't I? In order for the shorter runners to maintain the same idle speed
air velocity, the runners would have to be made narrower. It is all part of
the ram-air affect. In other words, shorter runners will scream on the top
end, but will act like a slug from idle up to a certain rpm. Long runners
will pack the cylinder at idle better due to the massive volume of air that
is made to move. Tom, if I were you, I would stay with the shorter runners
and get a tq converter that will let you stall up to the rpm needed to get
back into the power band that your motor now has. It will be about as cheap
as the dyno time and all the gaskets, etc... that you will need to swap back
in the stock intake. Or, put a BLOWER on it! That will also help. Oh yeah,
I don't know how Paxton has gotten such a bad name on this list lately, but I
am very pleased with mine! I wouldn't take a Kenne Belle for my app if you
gave it to me. For a torque monster in the lower end, then use a roots/screw
type blower. If you want to get up in the top end and scream at the track,
then use a centrifugal blower or turbo setup.
                                   Sure top fuel uses roots style, but then
again, their blowers are the size of a 318 anyway! Don't think any of us on
the DML need that much air yet! HTH Tom.

Will
96 Paxton huffed NOS intercooled 408 Dakado
68 Dodge Charger 440 6-pack Jet black with House of Kolor Chameleon flames
on front clip
<More to come! New projects found weekly!>