What to do with my truck?

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 03:11:37 EDT

I know I just posted about the dealer working on my truck,but this is
regarding a different issue I'm having right now. I've been trying really
hard to keep my truck as clean and as perfect as possible and do the whole
"street truck/show truck" thing with it. But, now I am having second
thoughts abput just what I should be doing with my truck. I've tried so hard
to keep the paint/body finish in good shape, but it just keeps getting
messed up! First my stepmom sits something on the hood(a box or case of
something, she still won't tell me what!), and if that wasn't bad enough,
she spun it around while it was sitting there, leaving a nice mark that
looks basicallylike someone took a piece of sandpaper and made a swirl with
it. Then, 3 weeks ago, somebody decides it's time to vandalize my truck be
beating up the hood with a bat! So,I'm thinking no big deal,I wanted a cowl
hood anyways, right? Well, I then begin to notice all the paint
imperfections -swirl marks, few rock pecks under the rocker panels, some wax
on the door handles,etc. SO-The Finish needs some serious work! Now, Once I
think that's going to be ok, and I get excited about adding some more to the
truck, this stupid leak/carpet getting wet thing happens, so now I'm
convinced that the interior will never be as perfect as I had kept it up to
this point! I mean it's kind of fixed right now, but what about a year from
now, will the carpet stink? Will the foam pad breakdown and make a mess?
Will the trim pieces become loose from being taken out and reinstalled? Is
the engine/drivetrain still healthy after the dealer incident? Basically
what I'm trying to figure out for myself is whether or not it is worth
continuing on. I am REALLY considering going to a lifted 2" suspension, 31"
BFG tires on my stock 15X8's, possibly removing the bedcover in favor of a
Rhino Liner and a diamond plate toolbox, and basically turning it into a
work truck type of thing. I would no longer not drive it in the rain, or
worry too much about the finish, and those kinds of things. I would just
drive it and not worry about anything but my maintenance. But, If I get
convinced and decide for myself that the project is salvageable, I will
continue what I had started. PLEASE give me some feedback on what you think
I should do, as I'm very much undecided at this point! Thanks in advance,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/NV-3500HD5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html