Re: Re: cam goes in on monday

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 22:47:13 EDT

no need to pull the dist. on these motors at all, heck I didn't pull the
plug wires off until it was time for the heads to come off :) Don't have
to drop the oil pan either, just remove the timing cover bolts, and 2 of
the frontmost oil pan bolts.. GENTLY pull the top of the timing cover
forward, the bottom of it will pop off the oil pan gasket (might need to
gently help it off with your fingers... be VERY careful that you don't
rip/tear/molest/injure/upset this gasket)

get the longest bolt you can find with the same threads as the cam bolt,
use it as a handle. yes, be VERY carefull pulling the old cam out (kinda
like that game of Operation...) and use a good bit of assembly lube on the
new cam bearing journals, although I used it on the lobes as well, all the
manuals say to use engine oil on the cam lobes. (I used assembly lube b/c
it was gonna sit a few weeks waiting on the head work)

--
   Jon Smith