Re: Narowing of wheels / Air Bags ect

From: bob (bnich@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 18:23:35 EDT

"Steven T. Ekstrand" wrote:

> What kind of wheels are you trying to have narrowed???
>
> I can't imagine anybody on the planet would narrow or widen a cast aluminum
> rim. I've only seen Stockton work on steel rims.
>
> To accomplish what you want you would be taking 1 3/4" off the outer rim
> half. How wide is the rim now? 8"??? Going to 6 1/4"??? Your truck,
> but I'd prefer if we were talking about an S-10, because these bicycle rims
> are going to be skanky.
>
> And even if you could do this, and I don't think you can, the cost will be
> way up there. What you really want to do is look into getting a rim with
> more backspace so that the whole rim moves inboard.

Steve, Bernd, Will ......
I bought chrome RT wheels for my truck. The offset seems to be a liittle
more/less and the tire sticks out of my wheel well...Plus, I lowered my front
another 1.5"....3.5" total looks great.....handles great....till I hit a bump
that is...SO, I have to either install
air bags / air springs (Patrick you listening?) so I can raise her up 2" on
days like today when I go to brooklyn or.....narrow the wheels, change the back
spacing so the wheel is inside of the well. Kabessshhh? I called the wheel
mfr....they say I can take off .300 off the backside of the wheel.....maybe I
could also take aliitle (.250?) from the rotor face (Bernd?). I have a machine
shop so it's no big deal. but thats 9/16 or so. I need 1 1/2 to 1 3/4.
So HHHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP ME
Bob

--
Lowered 1998 Metallic Red Extended Cab
Western Chassis 2/4" Drop, Gibson Cat Back, Lund Roll Pan, Lund Wiper Cowl