Re: Re: RE: "Advanced" question for the experts

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:55:53 EDT

Dave

>That seems low though for the MP PCM does it not???esp. when my stock Jeep
>PCM goes as high as 31-32. BTW, this 99 MP PCM never went over 24deg.(at
>wot).

That is low for an MP PCM. MP has done some drastic programming
to get CARB and EPA approval. On the '97 CA version MP PCM (CARB
approved), they not only backed timing across the board compared to
the '96 MP PCM but at each shift point, they retarded timing to 7 degrees.

>I'm going by the O2 voltage, its about .90 at WOT

.90 is pretty rich according to Ron Zimmer. I will usually record a peak .92
in 1st and 2nd at WOT and .90 in third.

>I guess I should explain that better.its nice and snappy,and runs fine, just
>seems to lack midrange torque,and doesn't seem to start making good power
>till about 3500 or so.

Except for his stock tb, his mods (mainly cam, also MPI ... I don't know which
cam he has ... I have the MP Magnum R/T cam) will raise his power curve.
Just for your reference (again noting I have 5.2), my peak torque is at
4300 rpm
(cam, MPI, Leach headers). At WOT, I have to have third gear start around
3900-4000 rpm (means I have to shift out of second at 5300-5400 and this
is with a Transgo kit) or I will be out or my power band (costs me 2/10s
everytime).

Last Saturday at the track, I met and talked with an owner of a 2000 R/T
CC. He has some mods but the main one for performance was the MP
PCM. He ran 14.8x on street tires. I think your friend's R/T and his mods
are pretty much in the ballpark with his 14.2s. Our weight is a real killer.

HTH. Bob