Oregon Back Roads Discovery Trail prelim report

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 00:42:55 EDT

Just got back from our two weeks driving through 800 miles of back
roads/trails in Oregon. We traversed the state from California to
Washington. It was fantastic! We saw herds of 50 to 75 elk up close (too
close). Mule deer, Antelope, white tail deer, wild horses, Bald Eagles,
Pelicans! and lots more. Got stuck twice, once fast and hard and took two
days to dig out. Wiped out the front valance, back bumper and both nerf bars
(they saved the rockers and doors) all separate events. Busted a bolt on the
front shock. About $1000 in damage, hope the scratches can be buffed out.

Along the way we found a dinosaur tooth fossil, 60lb chunk of obsidian,
petrified wood, jade, and a 25lb chunk of gold bearing quarts. We saw only 6
people while on the trail.

No rain, 117 deg on one day, 70 to 100 on all the other days with little
humidity, 20 percent or so. slept under the stars, ate like a king and saw
14 of the most beautiful sunsets of my life.

We took some video and notes and will post a full trip report soon. Nurf
bars are on order and I plan on having a custom front bumper made ASAP. The
rear bumper will be replaced by a smitty built tube type.

It's good to be back but I can't wait to do that again. It was the best
vacation of my life.

Patrick O'Day
2000 Dakota 4x4, 4.7L, CC
Profile at www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Cy9WFjn1QtCYw/profile.htm