re: camper shells

From: J. Courtenay Brandon (jcbrandon@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 22:28:05 EDT

Bruce B asked:

"Let's talk about hard covers and shells. The adviser
at the dealership warned me that some DAK owners have
complained about bad noises coming from the rear end
when you add a shell...How did a cab height shell
effect gas mileage? And power?...How much does a cover
help mileage?"

I've had no trouble with noise. I also have a Bedrug
which might be masking it. It might also be a good
idea for you and the gear you want to haul.

I was wondering about mileage also but saw no change
after installing a shell. Mine is a Snugtop Hi-Liner
which is several inches higher than the cab roof
thereby increasing frontal area. It weighs about 200
pounds. I figure the extra weight and smoother airflow
cancel each other out. The extra height is a great
advantage but the look may not be for you.

You're in San Jose, yes? Give me a shout off-list if a
look at my truck helps you decide.

cheers,

-J.