Re: Hard Tonneau cover for Gen II

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 12:56:57 EST

I don't know about a Gen-II, but I know on my Gen-III('00), I've had a
HORRIBLE experience with my Checkmate FX. I had one on it for exactly one
year before they finally agreed to replace it because it had leaked from day
one and the fiberglass mat had seperated. When they replaced it, the first
one would leak right through the fiberglass!! They seemed less than
concerned and I had to be pretty persistent to get them to replace it. When
the second one went on, they assured me the problems I'd had with cover #1
were all uncommon and would not be there with #2. Well, #2 leaks worse than
#1. It has since the first time it got wet. I've tried all their little
"patches" that they've suggested, but none work. Now I've got silicone all
over the edges of my bedcover, more weatherstrip than I care to mention and
have "shimmed" the fiberglass panel. I've got about 1/2" of water in the bed
right now. I've taken pictures and sent them to Checker, but never got a
response from them. The leaking ruined one peice of their "marine/outdoor
grade weatherproof" carpet that I bought with the initial bedcover, not to
mention a lot of stuff that has been in the truck while I was driving and it
started raining!!. The last time I called, I was on hold about 10 minutes to
speak with the owner of the company and all he had to tell me was "We can't
deal with you, we are too busy selling covers to people who don't call
back." Kinda pissed me off. So, now I too am looking for a cover that I can
live with. I guess I'm just out the $600 I put into these! HTH,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 Reg. cab 2wd, 4.7L/NV3500HD/9.25" 3.92 sure-grip