Block Heater question

From: jay & dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 19:20:54 EST

For those of you that live in colder climates and use a block heater, I
wonder if I can ask you a question. On the mornings when I don't use my
block heater the truck starts and fast idles fine. But some times I will
put my block heater on a timer to start 2 hours before I go to work in the
morning. When I do this the truck starts fine but will spit and sputter for
aprox. 2 seconds, then run fine. I'm just wondering why the block heater
being plugged in would make the engine sputter like this for a very short
time, while without the block heater there is no hesitations. (and don't say
"then don't use the block heater") :-) This has happened like this for a
few years now in winter and has just got me curious. BTW, this is on a 97,
318 and it's getting cold here in BC, Canada.

Thanks for any responses,
Jay