Compression vs Timing

From: greg conner (dodgeboy93@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 23:51:32 EST

Well I have r/t sti..........no just kiding..on to a realevent topic =P

I'm in the middle of a rebuild of a 93 v6 to drop into my 96 dakota. So far
the main performance mods are a comp 200/206 504/512 lift cam,
ported/polished heads, ported intake manifold, mopar 1.6rr's, and all the
obligatory bolt ons. I'm now looking into a set of the forged Keith Black
pistons. These pistons raise the compression ratio from a 9.1:1 to a
9.87:1. According to Marty at KRC the motor will still run on 93 octane gas
without a problem. I'm wondering though If it would still run on 93 with a
few extra degrees of spark advance from a custom computer flash such as one
from ASE. If not, what is better..more compression or more spark advance?
Easy to retard timing with my msd box, but its hard to have to swap out
pistons again. Sorry for the rambeling...Any one have any input?

-greg