RE: Selling Stuff II

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 10:14:20 EST

Well, this is a message I never wanted to get involved with, but as the
President of the Southwest Chapter of the RT Club, I think it's
necessary.

A little background on me for those of you who don't know me: Member of
the DML since ~1995 (with a '91 LE), then a '95 SLT, then a '99 Dakota
RT CC, add to that another Dakota RT (RC)... Fast forward a year and I'm
running a '00 RT RC, and a '99 Dakota 4x4 Sport CC... I've put on a few
DML Meets (Tecate, Mexico drive), and attended a few more. Participated
in a few shows that Jim H. has put together, and have done the Speedzone
trip a few times (about 125 miles from where I live). So I've been
around, and most people know where I am coming from personality wise, as
well as how much I enjoy the people I've met at events, and on the DML.

Reading Jim's comments, I had to 1) Defend RT owners in general, and 2)
Let people know what's happened with my dealing with Jim H...

Jim's statement, grouping all bad experiences with RT owners as an
indication on how the entire group acts, really angers me. The way I
see it, his recent sell off attracted a lot of Dakota performance
orientated owners (which is mostly comprised of RT owners if you were to
take all New Dakota sales into account). So, have a few disappointed
'PEOPLE' isn't surprising when you have a product that is in demand. It
just so happened to be RT owners 'missing out' on the deal. That's
tough apples for them. It would be no different than any other Dakota
owner.

The issue where line was sold as being 20' and it measured out to be
10'... As the person purchasing this 'deal'... If it was advertised as
20', it had better be 20' or some sort of refund had better be arranged.
Sure, a bunch of goodies thrown in as good will gesture might make
things go a little better, but people expect to get what they paid for.
It's minor, and maybe YOU and I think it's no big deal, but people
spending their cold hard cash on something site unseen, expect to get
the goods as advertised.

As far as deals falling through... Get over it. It happens to all of
us. I could name a lot of DML people who have flaked on me on
purchases. Others that have simply ripped me off.

My dealing with you Jim as a person have been fine, both with the great
car shows you have put together and other events, but sales tranactions
have been a little iffy. You offered me a 'great' deal on a set of used
mopar headers from you truck way back when you were working a deal with
Mesa. I was pumped up, as these were going to go on my wife's truck.
Since you basically got the headers for free, I expected to pay
~$100-150 at most. You wanted $350 for them. I declined, and
proceeded to pickup a set for $375 (mopar) brand new. When I get
something for next to nothing, and no longer need/want it... I usually
give it away.

Earlier this year you bought extra tickets to CA. Speedway, and you
asked how many I wanted. I told you I wanted 3 tickets... I then
planned on it, and everything. You sent me 2 tickets. The price was
right, seats were great. But we talked about 3 tickets not 2...which
was awkward after had already invited a coworker, and had to leave my
wife at home. Other people have come to me to ask questions about
things you've had for sale-- A shaker hood, that when it came down to
the deal they found out it was a non-functional hood, so they backed
out, t- covers, bed rugs, wheels, etc. I've told them all you are a
good guy, but as with anyone, buyer beware on used products.

I emailed you personally about the Viper brakes, and after reading the
comments re: proprietary mounting, etc. I Felt it wasn't worth the
hassle. There's no law stating you cannot duplicate a part for your own
use, even if it has a patent. People get turned off by that, kinda like
advertising a 70 Challenger for sale, and at the bottom of the ad in
fine print it says "wheels tires, transmission, battery, keys, not
included." For some it's a diamond in the rough, for others too much
of a hassle.

The hostility you've shown to the RT club here on the DML is right in
line for what you've done in the past to members of the Durango Owners
Club in the past. You get angry, let everyone know, make threats, and
disappear for a while.

I'll end this hear, because I've probably pissed you off about as much
as you've done to me. I wanted people to see MY side of what's gone on
here way too long, and say for the most part the bad apples have been on
BOTH sides of the road deal wise.

Threats against RT and other owners, and others won't go unnoticed
either. Threats like that can end up hurting a person's career when
sent to managers, publishing companies, and other media outlets. It's
all public record here on the DML.

Hope things can worked out between us.

Sam Parthemer
President RT Club Southwest Chapter