Re: CPS unit

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 20:43:25 EST

At 03:33 PM 1/9/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Could someone enlighten me on the location of the Crank Position Sensor
>on a 97, V8, 5 spd. Looking from the front of the engine, I'm thinking it's
>to the left of the distributor about 4-5 inches.

It is on the passenger side.

>I recall someone saying it was right behind the passenger side head, but
>there is nothing there. The piece I'm referring to screws into the
>manifold/block
>and has a 2 inch piece of plastic above it with a an electrical connector
>attached
>to the top of it. I was told this was the oil pressure sending unit?

That is the oil pressure sending unit.

>If it is, where is the CPS in conjuction with this? And if this the CPS,
>whats
>the location of the oil pressure sending unit? --snip-- Jay

It is farther down and located where the block is joined to the transmission
bell housing. It is bolted (2 hex head bolts) to to the top of the
cylinder block
near the rear right (looking forward from a seat) head. From a height
perspective,
probably at the level where the oil pan bolts up). To access the sensor,
you need
to remove the right front fender liner (need to remove the right front tire and
then the right front wheelhouse liner).

The standard (most often used) is whenever anything is referred to as on
the right
or on the left in auto. literature, it is referenced to sitting inside the
vehicle
and facing forward.

HTH.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG