diagnosed ping

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 20:15:40 EST

Well, after 1 year of dealing with a pinging problem that has gotten
progressively worse (yes, I logged in to Bernd's questionnaire.) I found
since September that it has been consuming oil at an alarming rate, and
the pinging doesnt go away even with super unleaded fuel. I went back
through some tsb's I'd saved because I remembered one about the plenum
gaskets going bad, and I found this one.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm
  Well, I ran the test, and failed miserably, pulling 15+" of vacuum
within 15 seconds! I guess I'll be doing the repair and I'll let
everyone know if the pinging and oil consumption goes away.
  BTW-the TSB says to replace all the bolts too. Has anyone done this,
and is there a specific reason to put new bolts in it (like a revised
thicker/thinner gasket) or does Chrysler just want more cash?
Patrick