Re: Videotaping the BBQ trail runs

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 14:43:40 EDT

"Michael Clark" <dml@mikesdakota.com> wrote:

:> There's no good tiedown points that I can find. Besides, having a

: Andy what about this.... Use the rear seat belts as an achor point. You
: could use some of those motorcycle "cinch" type straps and tie the tripod
: off to the seat belts in the rear. Now for the front I don't know what you
: could use. Maybe use another cinch strap and hook it to the seat rail under
: the front seat?????

  That sounds like a decent idea - should work as long as there is a good
place to hook them on the tripod. I do actually have a few motorcycle
tiedowns that could be used for that...

:> > Hey, you know what would be cool is to take a piece of 2" square
:> > tubing, and just have a piece that slips into the trailer hitch, then

:> I'll let you do that with *your* camera, Jon. My electronics stay
:> safely within the confines of the cab. Which reminds me...I better pack
:> lots of GPS batteries.
:>

: I definately like this idea!!! I don't blame you Andy for not wanting to
: mount a new camera on the outside of the truck, but that's what old Ebay
: camcorders are good for. OR, one of those X10 wireless jobs.... use one of
: those (only about $49.00 or so) and run the vid/aud into your new camera (on
: the inside of the truck) to record it!!

    Yep, I thought of that... I do have a few of the wide angle X10 cams
(that's what the DML BBQ cam is); I forgot that I have a battery pack for
them - I thought I would have to run power to them. I guess all it would
take then is a power inverter in the cab to run a VCR and a video monitor.
(My camcorder doesn't have aux inputs) Yeah, the X10 camera is sounding
like the way to go! :-) They're water resistant too (you can mount them
outside in the rain) I will definitely have to do something about this
for next year! =)

: Damn, I wish I was closer to you guys, I love this kinda stuff!

   For sure! You may have to take a vacation up this way one of these
first weekends in July someday. :-) Oh well, think of it as payback
for all those great Houston drag racing meets we nor-easters have to
hear about! ;-)

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'