Re: stealing daks?

From: Andy Levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 14:01:14 EDT

Mike Crumley wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 07:43:34 -0400, john@bigfrontyard.com ("John
> Henton") wrote:
>

>>How easy is it to steal a Dakota? When the truck was taken, there was
>>no glass on the ground where I had parked it, I figured maybe it was a
>>professional job... but the items left in the truck suggest that it was
>>just some joyriders.. the steering column wasn't cracked open.. the
>>ignition was fine... maybe they had some dealer keys or something?
>

> I don't think a Dak is any easier to steal than any other vehicle and
> Daks don't generally show up on the "most frequently stolen" lists.
> There is no such thing as "dealer keys". The reality is that there are
> a limited number of key combinations that are used, far fewer than the
> number of vehicles on the road. The keys to your truck probably fit
> hundreds if not thousands of other Daks all across the country. If you
> had the nerve to walk around trying your key in other Daks you would
> probably open one before long. Sounds like that's what somebody did
> with yours.

Trucks can be easier to steal than cars in some ways just because of the
rear window. Many years ago a neighbor's son had his Toyota pickup
broken into and CDs and the CD player stolen. The theif somehow managed
to pop the rear window right out. If you've got a slider it's pretty
easy too.

As for not showing up on "most frequently stolen" lists, the cars that
appear there tend to be the cars that are out on the road in high volume
- since there are more Accords and Camrys than Daks, of course more will
be stolen. I'd prefer to see the number of vehicles stolen per 10,000
of that model that are on the road and rank that way.

--
-andy
andylevy@yahoo.com