RE: Well, I am home from the BBQ

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 08 2002 - 17:24:28 EDT

Dakota Dodge is finally on the road, back to Maine, thirty hours behind
schedule,. . . . in a rental car.
I have a couple of snapshots of the equipment in question but I'll have to
finish the roll, have it processed, and then scan them. The short version is
that when you crawl under your truck and look at the transfer case, you
shouldn't be able to SEE THE GEARS! The final ka-boom was eastbound on the
Thruway, between Buffalo and Batavia.
I'll leave all of the details for Dakota when he is able to log on from
home.
He was a great houseguest but my wife didn't think he ate enough.

Now, on to other matters.

"BLEAZARD-LIKE CRAWL" ?

Why, I oughta',
whippersnappers,
 mumble mumble.
I did the pit both days, and the trails both days, AND drove home! I was
throwing a pretty good bow wave in the pit Saturday afternoon and did a
diagonal climb out that threw a pretty good fountain. I just didn't do any
30 mph entries and no forty-foot high roosters in 2wd. After watching the
video, my wife thanked me very much for not trying the waterfall.
The only real problem is cooling. Saturday, when we finally left the north
end of the airstrip and entered the woods, the temperature was past 210
degrees and climbing. Creeping in 4-low didn't help any. By the time we
finally reached the creek bed the gauge was up to 260. I was holding the
camcorder on the lip of the dash with one hand and in the creek bed, the
audio clearly picks up the "check gauges" chime as the temperature pegged
momentarily.
Great weekend, great time, great friends, great pictures. Thanks Jon!

Four hours of Sunday afternoon was spent with the pressure washer. The BFG
MT's came off one at a time, and the suspension was thoroughly hosed off,
and then all fittings greased. My front lawn now has a "mud mound" where I
did all the work. The AC condenser, the trans cooler, and the radiator were
all blasted well with water but there is still more of a temperature rise
then I am happy with. More flushing seems in order.
I'm glad to hear that everyone will be arriving home safely, with or without
their truck.