Re: (3) 2 quarts low--need expert advice!

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 21:02:52 EDT

At 02:42 PM 7/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
>-- SNIP --
>Here's my game plan:
>1. Clean the engine bay of mud.
>2. Clean the air filter, intake tube, TB, and manifold. Can I
>squirt some sort of solvent cleaner (carb cleaner?) down the
>manifold? What's the best product?

Let's hope that the filter caught most of the crud from the mud
water. I don't know if you want to send something into the intake
manifold. If you got crud in there, it'll just send it to the injectors
and maybe plug them up. Probably it would be best to remove
the intake manifold and clean it out but that's a huge job. I'd
take the chance that the filter did a good job and caught all
the sediments.

You might want to something into the gas tank to clean up
the fuel system. Kleen Flo has a pretty good product that attacks
inhibiting deposits, gums and varnishes from injectors called
TKO 2000. They also have a dedicated, combustion cleaning
product as well but don't know the name. A bit expensive and
maybe a bit hard to find at auto supply stores. I'd try Walmart first
  ... they seem to carry everything :-)

>3. Change the oil and oil filter.
>4. Check spark plugs and note condition.
>5. Peform Bob Tom's check list.
>6. Cross my fingers and run it for ~300 miles (assuming I get
>past #5) and change the oil again.

Good idea on #6 !!!

>Wish me luck . . . I need it. Jason Y

Consider it done!
Would not wish all the reported woes on 6ers, 4.7ers, R/Ters ...
... well, maybe can leave out R/Ters :-*P) Oh, oh ... dood it
again ... will go and sit in the corner for a few days.

Bob