Re: Re: Gas Drive Off...Wife says "Dont get Involved"

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 09:14:59 EDT

At 04:06 AM 7/22/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Wife has me put gas in her Dakota QC (actually my
>Dad's ex). While i'm doing this,the guy at another pump
>gasses up, leaves his pump on the ground, and drives
>off. The gas station attendant can't see his plate, but i
>see the make/color of the car.
>
>I try to catch up to it (in daughters 96' Corsica), but
>to no avail. I go home,and wife chews my ass for trying
>to find the car & the plate.
>
>I tell her its my civic duty, and next time it happens,and
>i'm in my Dakota, i'm gonna catch anyone who drives off...
>
>Now, who's right? Wife or Me? David

Evaluate the situation. A guy runs off without paying
for gasline.

How far does one carry civic duty in this situation?
At the minimum, if someone has solid information
on car's make and model, report it to the gas attendant
(policeman if one was called). As far as getting
the license plate, a judgment has to be made if it
can be done within the laws that applies to any citizens
and at no risk to self and others i.e. evaluate/weigh the
consequences of vehicle pursuit. If you did catch
the guy, will it escalate from stealing of gasoline incident
to bodily harm and injury or worst?

I'll stay away from the wife or me question except to say
... try to find why a situation like this (or is it an accumulation
of situations) would caused a friction in your relationship.

Bob

Dak content: I know that my Dakota appreciates that I pay
for my gasoline :-)