Re: RE: what rear shocks to get?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 07:26:45 EDT

At 10:30 PM 7/23/02 -0400, you wrote:
>looking for whatever will give me the best quarter mile time,
>ride quality is of no consequence John S

Any shock that has a very stiff compression (even stiffer than
most aftermarket shocks). You want to be able to slam
the rear tires into the pavement when the weight transfers
from the front on the launch.

The one that I'm zeroing in on is the adjustable Rancho
RS9000's (rear only for Gen IIIs). It has 5 settings for
stiffness so it's idea for a street/strip app. There is also
an optional adjuster box that is mounted in the cab but
it is expensive (as is just the shock).

If I opt for these puppies, I'll go without box and just crawl
underneath to adjust the setting at the track.

I haven't come across anything else for the rears nor anything
at all for the fronts except maybe true drag shocks which
would be quite dangerous in street situations.

HTH. Bob