Weird problem Hard to explain, pls read !

From: Got-Speed \(Marty\) (Got-Speed@cox.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 19:35:03 EDT

Ok I have been having this problem for a while now off and on.

First off for the past few months I have noticed it takes more time to start
the truck (When you turn the key, you have to keep it turned for about 5
seconds longer) then it used to. It used to start right up as soon as you
bump the key. This has had me worried so I have since replaced the battery
(It went bad) I changed the plugs, the rotor, the cap, and the oil about a
month ago. No help. The waterpump and coolant were changed about 4-6 months
ago (probably has no effect here). I also took the TB apart and cleaned it
really good, along with all the sensors. Oh also tried fuel injector
cleaner.

My problem is with the longness in starting, thats problem # 1 and problem
#2 when it does start it will idle at around 1100 rpm for awhile. Maybe 10
minutes. Today for instance it would not drop down to normal (about 600 rpm
for me) untill I gunned it to almost redline.

Both of these problems are probably related and they only happen when cold
(like when I come out from having it sit overnight, at say 12 noon).

I have a 98 318 Auto, only engine mods are a cold air intake, no muffler,
and a stage 2 jet chip.
I use 93 octane gas, and the truck has run fine long after I put the chip
in.

I am guessing it could be the O2 sensor due to the fact that my air/fuel
guage is in the lean side alot.
But then again it could be my fuel filter is clogged.

Once the truck is warmed up really good, I don't have this problem, Comeon
guys gimmie some help here, I don't wanna tear into it blind.

Thanks
Marty
http://members.cox.net/got-speed